Pro-Palestinian fans `attack` Israeli players
Bichofshofen, Austria: A pre-season friendly between Maccabi Haifa and French side Lille had to be abandoned when a group of pro-Palestinian supporters invaded the pitch and attacked some of the Israeli players.
Lille said on its Twitter feed that the referee called a halt to the game after a group of youths, waving Palestinian flags and placards, ran onto the pitch at the Austrian venue with just three minutes of the game left yesterday.
After a series of brief scuffles, the protestors were led away by security officers and the game called off with the French side 2-0 ahead at the time.
"Maccabi Haifa Football Club believes in co-existence, tolerance and is against violence," a club statement given to the Jerusalem Post read.
"We denounce the violence that was used against us. This didn`t happen because of sport or football, it happened because we are a team which represents Israel."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Who said what on Anil Kumble's appointment as Team India's head coach
- 78 dead, 200 badly hurt in extreme weather in eastern China
- Watch this interesting movie-like trailer for NASA's Juno mission!
- Subramanian Swamy at it again! Attacks Economic Affairs Secy Shaktikanta Das; Arun Jaitley calls it unfair
- Pakistan-North Korea nuclear trade being tracked by Indian intelligence agencies: Report