Prosecutor asks Ribery and Benzema be cleared in sex trial
PARIS: A prosecutor asked on Wednesday that French soccer internationals Franck Ribery and Karim Benzema be discharged of solicitation of an underage prostiture.
"It is impossible for the accusation to prove that Franck Ribery was aware" that Zahia Dehar, a prostitute-turned-fashion model, was under 18 -- the age of majority in France, prosecutor Jean-Julien Xavier-Rolai told the Correctional Court of Paris.
Xavier-Rolin added that Benzema should also be discharged.
Real Madrid striker Benzema and Bayern Munich forward Ribery, who were not attending the four-day trial, were being tried on charges of paying Dehar when she was aged 16 and 17.
Ribery has admitted paying her for sex but said he did not know how hold she was. Benzema has denied having any sexual relations with Dehar.
Paying for sex is not illegal in France but underage prostitution is.
Last December, the National Assembly passed a bill to fine prostitutes clients, but it still has to pass the Senate and be signed by president Francois Hollande before it becomes law.
The judges` decision is expected on Thursday, although it is highly likely that the case will be adjourned for further deliberation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Being overweight linked to eight more kinds of cancer
- Pentagon probes possible civilian casualties in Syria strike: official
- Actress Leslie Jones' website hacked, nude photos posted
- Afghan forces hunt gunmen after American University attack
- Islamic State attacks Western-backed camp on Jordan-Syria border