PSG confirm Laurent Blanc as coach
Paris: French champions Paris Saint-Germain on Tuesday confirmed the appointment of Laurent Blanc as coach, with the former national team manager signing a two-year contract.
The television channel BeInSport, also owned by the club`s Qatari owners, let the cat out of the bag last Friday, announcing an "agreement" between the Paris side and Blanc.
PSG said in a short statement that a news conference would be held "soon".
The French Ligue 1 winners` announcement came just moments before Real Madrid said that Carlo Ancelotti would take over from Jose Mourinho at the Bernabeu.
Blanc, 45, has been out of a job since leaving his role in charge of the French national team following their disappointing quarter-final exit at Euro 2012.
The former defender, who won the World Cup with France in 1998, has previously had professional coaching experience at Bordeaux from 2007-2010, leading them to the Ligue 1 title in 2009.
Ancelotti had been a target as Mourinho`s replacement after announcing in May that he wanted to leave the Parc des Princes after 18 months in charge.
PSG have reportedly been linked to a number of coaches since then, including Mourinho before his move back to Chelsea, Rafael Benitez before he headed to Napoli and Russia boss Fabio Capello.
Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas was also said to have been in the frame.
Blanc was also said to have been in talks with Roma until the Serie A side chose former Lille boss Rudi Garcia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users