PSG sign Thiago Silva from Milan for €42m
Paris Saint-Germain have announced the signing of Thiago Silva from AC Milan for a reported fee of €42 million, according to the Ligue 1 club's official website.
The Brazil international, 27, had been linked with a move to the Parc des Princes throughout the summer, and he has now made the switch to the French capital, where he is expected to be joined by his former Milan team-mate Zlatan Ibrahimovic.
He has agreed a five-year contract worth a reported €7.5m per year, including €1.5m in bonuses, and becomes the second most expensive defender in the world after Manchester United centre-back Rio Ferdinand.
After previous failed spells in Europe with Dynamo Moscow and Porto, Thiago Silva returned to the continent in 2009 with AC Milan from Fluminense and lifted the Serie A title in only his second season at San Siro.
Although the side were unable to retain their Scudetto shield the following campaign, he appeared to have committed his long-term future to the Rossoneri, having similarly penned a five-year extension only a fortnight ago.
However, with Milan's financial problems well documented, president Silvio Berlusconi confirmed that he had accepted a bid from PSG in the region of €65 million for both the Brazilian and Ibrahimovic, despite the Ligue 1 runners-up seeing an initial bid reportedly rejected for the stopper
But while the deal to bring in the Swede remains incomplete, Thiago Silva is now officially a PSG player and will join up once more with former coach Leonardo, and many ex-Serie A rivals, including Thiago Motta, Javier Pastore and Ezequiel Lavezzi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note