PSG sign Thiago Silva from Milan for €42m
Paris Saint-Germain have announced the signing of Thiago Silva from AC Milan for a reported fee of €42 million, according to the Ligue 1 club's official website.
The Brazil international, 27, had been linked with a move to the Parc des Princes throughout the summer, and he has now made the switch to the French capital, where he is expected to be joined by his former Milan team-mate Zlatan Ibrahimovic.
He has agreed a five-year contract worth a reported €7.5m per year, including €1.5m in bonuses, and becomes the second most expensive defender in the world after Manchester United centre-back Rio Ferdinand.
After previous failed spells in Europe with Dynamo Moscow and Porto, Thiago Silva returned to the continent in 2009 with AC Milan from Fluminense and lifted the Serie A title in only his second season at San Siro.
Although the side were unable to retain their Scudetto shield the following campaign, he appeared to have committed his long-term future to the Rossoneri, having similarly penned a five-year extension only a fortnight ago.
However, with Milan's financial problems well documented, president Silvio Berlusconi confirmed that he had accepted a bid from PSG in the region of €65 million for both the Brazilian and Ibrahimovic, despite the Ligue 1 runners-up seeing an initial bid reportedly rejected for the stopper
But while the deal to bring in the Swede remains incomplete, Thiago Silva is now officially a PSG player and will join up once more with former coach Leonardo, and many ex-Serie A rivals, including Thiago Motta, Javier Pastore and Ezequiel Lavezzi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani attempted suicide or big security lapse by jail authorities?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch