Pune defeat Mohun Bagan 2-0
Jamshedpur: Defending champions Pune FC maintained their excellent form to register their third consecutive win, defeating Mohun Bagan 2-0, while Tata Football Academy edged past Salgaocar FC by an identical margin in the final round of the 6th U-20 I-league here today.
First-timer Sesa Football Academy, Goa, exhibited impressive football to outplay East Bengal 3-0.
Mohun Bagan, who trounced archrival East Bengal 2-0 in the previous encounter before it drew against Salgaocar 1-1, was off colour as Pune FC dominated the proceedings right from the kick-off at the JRD Tata Sports Complex here.
The outfit in red jersey kept mounting pressure on the opponent and succeeded in drawing the first blood when mid-fielder F Lalrempuia netted in the 22nd minutes.
Ten minutes later mid-fielder Nikhil Kadam struck to extend the margin to 2-0.
Barring a couple of occasions in each half, Mohun Bagan could not come close to threatening Pune FC.
Pune FC have nine points after three wins.
Earlier, Pune FC beat Sesa Goa 2-1 and Salgaocar 3-2, while Mohun Bagan had four points from one draw, one win and a loss.
The second match played at the JRD complex witnessed Tata Football Academy easily beating Salgaocar 2-0.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000