Pune FC beat Chirag Kerala 3-0 in I-League
Kochi: Pune FC thrashed Chirag United Kerala 3-0 in their round 22 fixture of the I-League at the Jawaharlal Nehru International Stadium on Sunday.
The victory powered by first half goals from Keita Mandjou, Singam Subhash Singh and Arata Izumi pushed Pune FC to 40 points and to the third spot in the league standings while Chirag languish at 17 points.
The visitors set the sails running very early into the game as Mandjou helped by an assist from the left by Subhash Singh scored the opener of the day in the fifth minute. The Guinean forward did nothing wrong to slash the ball into the back of the net.
Pune did not sit back after taking the lead and they shook the net against an unsettled and uncertain Chirag United a minute later -- this time it was Keita who turned provider and Subhash, the scorer.
Down 0-2 with just six minutes on the clock, Chirag players looked to have already conceded the game as their attack lacked precision and goalmouth was tested time and again by the opponents.
Former Chirag Kerala player Karma Tsewang and Ivorian Douhou Pierre were exceptional in creating chances for Pune FC`s frontline.
Pune went further ahead in the 39th minute as Japanese born midfielder Arata Izumi planted a shot in the back of the net from inside the Chirag box, making it a result to get over soon for the Chirag Kerala players.
A terrible first half seemed to have taken the fire out of the home side and Pune FC were happy sitting back and defending the chances created by Chirag in the second half.
Chirag had a lot of possession in the second half, but couldn`t convert much of it into goal scoring opportunities, much in contrast to their previous two games which they won almost comfortably.
In the 73rd minute, a header from Chirag`s forward David Gadimoh hit the crossbar, but that was the only clear cut chance they created in the game.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- China to feel Brexit effects, yuan to weaken against dollar: JP Morgan
- As Central India faces drought, violence and murders on the rise over water
- Baby boom! Teejay Sidhu and Karanvir Bohra to become parents for the first time
- Tripura Governor gets additional charge of Arunachal Pradesh
- Bucket list: You must try these things at least once before turning 25!