Pune FC beat Chirag Kerala 3-0 in I-League
Kochi: Pune FC thrashed Chirag United Kerala 3-0 in their round 22 fixture of the I-League at the Jawaharlal Nehru International Stadium on Sunday.
The victory powered by first half goals from Keita Mandjou, Singam Subhash Singh and Arata Izumi pushed Pune FC to 40 points and to the third spot in the league standings while Chirag languish at 17 points.
The visitors set the sails running very early into the game as Mandjou helped by an assist from the left by Subhash Singh scored the opener of the day in the fifth minute. The Guinean forward did nothing wrong to slash the ball into the back of the net.
Pune did not sit back after taking the lead and they shook the net against an unsettled and uncertain Chirag United a minute later -- this time it was Keita who turned provider and Subhash, the scorer.
Down 0-2 with just six minutes on the clock, Chirag players looked to have already conceded the game as their attack lacked precision and goalmouth was tested time and again by the opponents.
Former Chirag Kerala player Karma Tsewang and Ivorian Douhou Pierre were exceptional in creating chances for Pune FC`s frontline.
Pune went further ahead in the 39th minute as Japanese born midfielder Arata Izumi planted a shot in the back of the net from inside the Chirag box, making it a result to get over soon for the Chirag Kerala players.
A terrible first half seemed to have taken the fire out of the home side and Pune FC were happy sitting back and defending the chances created by Chirag in the second half.
Chirag had a lot of possession in the second half, but couldn`t convert much of it into goal scoring opportunities, much in contrast to their previous two games which they won almost comfortably.
In the 73rd minute, a header from Chirag`s forward David Gadimoh hit the crossbar, but that was the only clear cut chance they created in the game.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city