Pune FC beat Chirag Kerala 3-0 in I-League
Kochi: Pune FC thrashed Chirag United Kerala 3-0 in their round 22 fixture of the I-League at the Jawaharlal Nehru International Stadium on Sunday.
The victory powered by first half goals from Keita Mandjou, Singam Subhash Singh and Arata Izumi pushed Pune FC to 40 points and to the third spot in the league standings while Chirag languish at 17 points.
The visitors set the sails running very early into the game as Mandjou helped by an assist from the left by Subhash Singh scored the opener of the day in the fifth minute. The Guinean forward did nothing wrong to slash the ball into the back of the net.
Pune did not sit back after taking the lead and they shook the net against an unsettled and uncertain Chirag United a minute later -- this time it was Keita who turned provider and Subhash, the scorer.
Down 0-2 with just six minutes on the clock, Chirag players looked to have already conceded the game as their attack lacked precision and goalmouth was tested time and again by the opponents.
Former Chirag Kerala player Karma Tsewang and Ivorian Douhou Pierre were exceptional in creating chances for Pune FC`s frontline.
Pune went further ahead in the 39th minute as Japanese born midfielder Arata Izumi planted a shot in the back of the net from inside the Chirag box, making it a result to get over soon for the Chirag Kerala players.
A terrible first half seemed to have taken the fire out of the home side and Pune FC were happy sitting back and defending the chances created by Chirag in the second half.
Chirag had a lot of possession in the second half, but couldn`t convert much of it into goal scoring opportunities, much in contrast to their previous two games which they won almost comfortably.
In the 73rd minute, a header from Chirag`s forward David Gadimoh hit the crossbar, but that was the only clear cut chance they created in the game.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town