Pune FC beat Mohun Bagan, move to 2nd place
Kolkata: Pune FC climbed past East Bengal to occupy the second position in the table after posting a comfortable 3-1 victory over Mohun Bagan in their return-leg I-League fixture at the Kalyani Stadium here on Wednesday.
It was Mohun Bagan`s second straight loss as the side looked disjointed while ace forward Odafa Okolie struggled to find the target.
The visitors took the opportunity to strike in the 27th minute when Douhou Pierre gave the lead with a stunner.
Mohun Bagan tried their best to come back but the dogged Pune FC backline led by Chika Wali thwarted all their efforts, while James Moga doubled the lead in the 68th minute as they kept penetrating.
Pune FC made it 3-0 when Karma Tsewang (77th) found the target after substitute Velington Rocha missed a sitter.
Mohun Bagan did make a return when Odafa struck in the added time (90+4th minute) but it was too late.
The win took Pune (46 points) to five points behind Churchill Brothers who require one point from two matches to clinch the title for the second time.
Mohun Bagan (19) remained at 12th place as they still need three points from three matches to avoid relegation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation