Pune FC beat Mohun Bagan, move to 2nd place
Kolkata: Pune FC climbed past East Bengal to occupy the second position in the table after posting a comfortable 3-1 victory over Mohun Bagan in their return-leg I-League fixture at the Kalyani Stadium here on Wednesday.
It was Mohun Bagan`s second straight loss as the side looked disjointed while ace forward Odafa Okolie struggled to find the target.
The visitors took the opportunity to strike in the 27th minute when Douhou Pierre gave the lead with a stunner.
Mohun Bagan tried their best to come back but the dogged Pune FC backline led by Chika Wali thwarted all their efforts, while James Moga doubled the lead in the 68th minute as they kept penetrating.
Pune FC made it 3-0 when Karma Tsewang (77th) found the target after substitute Velington Rocha missed a sitter.
Mohun Bagan did make a return when Odafa struck in the added time (90+4th minute) but it was too late.
The win took Pune (46 points) to five points behind Churchill Brothers who require one point from two matches to clinch the title for the second time.
Mohun Bagan (19) remained at 12th place as they still need three points from three matches to avoid relegation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- OROP implementation after Bihar poll, says Manohar Parrikar
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men