Pune FC re-sign winger Lester Fernandez
Pune: Pune FC further strengthened their squad with the addition of winger and ex-player Lester Fernandez who rejoined the I-League club in the second-transfer window.
Lester, who spent two seasons with Pune FC from 2010-2012, has signed up till the end of the season.
The 28-year old thus becomes the club`s fourth signing of the recently concluded transfer window after Zeeshan Rahman, Gabriel Fernandes and Nicolau Borges.
Pune FC Head Operations, Chirag Tanna said, "We are very happy to have Lester back in our setup. I wish him all the best and hope he settles down quickly."
A Tata Football Academy graduate, Bengaluru-born Lester began his professional career at Dempo SC (2007-08) and was a part of their I-League winning side in the same season.
The crafty winger then spent a season each with Vasco SC (2008-09) and Salgaocar FC (2009-10) before joining Pune FC at the start of the 2010-11 season.
During his time at Pune FC, Lester went on to become a regular in the team and was also voted the `Fans` Player of the Year 2010-11 apart from helping the club to two back-to-back top-5 finishes.
While at Pune FC, Lester also was shortlisted for the National-camp held for the AFC Challenge Cup in 2012. He also made two appearances for the Indian team in friendlies against Oman and Azerbaijan.
At the start of 2012-13 season, Lester made the move to United SC for a transfer fee of Rs. 20 lakhs a first in Indian football - after two successful seasons with Pune FC. His time with United SC was however marred with injuries which restricted his progress at the club.
The following season, he moved west to Mumbai Tigers. However, with his new team pulling out of the I-League, he missed out on top-flight action.
Lester, who has been training with the rest of the team, has completed all formalities and will be available to Coach Mike Snoei for selection for the Mohammedan Sporting game.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing