Pune FC sign Goan winger Jovel Martins
New Delhi: Pune FC have signed winger Jovel Martins from Sporting Clube de Goa making him the second new signing of the next season.
The 22-year-old left-footer from Curtorim, South Goa, adds alongside forward Prakash Thorat in Pune FC`s process of building a young squad.
"I am happy to be handed this opportunity. I believe hard work pays and I am one who is willing to stretch the distance. I am excited on my first opportunity to play outside Goa. I thank all at Pune FC for the trust they have in me," Matins said.
Martins began his senior professional career at Sporting Clube de Goa after spending considerable time with the Goan side as a junior. He made it to the senior team in the 2010-11 season, when the Goans earned a promotion to the I-League.
After making few appearances in his debut season, Martins broke into the starting line-up in the beginning of the 2011-12 season.
A string of impressive performances on the left-flank in early competitions leading up to the I-League helped him cement his place.
In his debut top-flight season, Martins featured 16 times to help side finish in eighth place.
The pacy winger continued to put in consistent performances in the following season (2012-13), which made him a regular feature in the team.
His team finished sixth in the I-League last season.
Martins will join statemates Costa and Rocha at Pune FC for the season.
Chirag Tanna, Pune FC Head Operations, said: "Pune FC welcomes Jovel on board. I am sure his age syncs with our objectives of building a youthful and exciting side for the season. I wish him all the best during his stint with us."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Sonia Gandhi answer RSS's claim of igniting riots in the country?
- DNA: Only 4% of Indian polpulation pays income tax
- Police arrest person accused of abducting woman in Bengaluru
- Scientists find three Earth-sized planets orbiting dwarf star
- Kerala: Dalit law student brutally raped, murdered in Ernakulam
- No plans to restart ceasefire with NSCN-K: Home ministry
- Trio of Earth-like planets found may posses perfect conditions for life, claim scientists
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar to go back to Goa after Union Cabinet reshuffle?
- Pakistan regrets US lack of appreciation for its anti-terror role
- Uttarakhand forest fires show signs of abating