Pune FC suffer first defeat, go down 1-3 to Tampines Rovers
Pune FC suffered their first AFC Cup defeat going down 1-3 to Tampines Rovers FC in a Group-H Round 3 encounter at the Jalan Besar Stadium on wednesday.
Attacker Riga Mustapha (15th minute) gave Pune FC the lead with a penalty kick conversion before striker Miljan Mrdakovic (38th) pulled the hosts level in the first half.
Second half strikes from medio Closa Gonzalez (61st) and Mrdakovic (69th) handed Tampines Rovers all three points.
With this loss, Pune FC slipped down to fourth place in Group-H behind leaders Kitchee SC (7 pts), Nay Pyi Taw FC (4 pts) and Tampines Rovers (3 pts) midway through the group-stage.
Coach Mike Snoei made four changes in the lineup handing starts to Mirjan Pavlovic, Anthony D`Souza, Mumtaz Akhtar and Gurjinder Kumar in place of Arata Izumi, Dhanpal Ganesh, Srikanth Ramu and Fanai Lalrempuia.
After soaking pressure in the opening exchanges, Pune FC took the lead at the quarter-hour mark.
As Pavlovic jumped to head a high rising ball inside the box, Tampines goalkeeper Hyrulnizam Juma?at fumbled and continued to head out hoping to control.
In doing so, he ended up pulling down Pavlovic and the referee pointed to the spot.
Riga stepped up and coolly converted from the spot sending Hyrulnizam the wrong way while slotting home at the bottom left corner.
At the other end, the hosts tried to push up and had a couple of close-range attempts from Mrdakovic go wide.
Six minutes past the half hour mark, Pune FC once again went close. Winger Gabriel Fernandes did well to slide in a cross from the right, but the delivery fell just short for Pavlovic, one-on-one with the keeper inside the box.
At the other end, Tampines pulled level to restore parity. Keeper Amrinder Singh and skipper Anas Edathodika`s mix up resulted in a back pass inside the penalty box and the referee awarded an indirect freekick on the edge of the 6-yard box.
Skipper Mustafic Fahruddin`s powerful freekick was blocked by the wall but he did well to lob the ball to the far post for Mrdakovic who headed in from close range.
At the other end, Pune FC began to push up and went close through Pavlovic, Riga and Gabriel. However, poor finishing in the final third let the trio down as both sides went into the break tied at 1-1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 28, 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in
- Maggi noodles likely to face ban in India, FSSAI orders sample examination
- Heatwave toll in Andhra Pradesh reaches 1,490