Pune, Lajong match end in goalless draw
Pune: Pune FC opened their I-League campaign with a goalless draw against Shillong Lajong FC at the Balewadi Sports Complex on Saturday.
In a game of equal exchanges, Pune FC distinctly had an upper hand with the chances they created and went close onseveral occasions, Lajong in the bargain did well but were ambitious rather than penetrative.
Pune FC began proceedings on the backfoot with Shillong Lajong striker John Menyongar going over a couple of times before Pune created the first close chance of the match.
In the the 15th minute Douhou Pierre failed to keep the ball within the framework from eight yards after Arata Izumi cut in a low cross that got past the Lajong backline.
Lajong, thereafter, held the upper hand and kept the Pune defence on their toes with several counter attacks in which John dangerously had a clear shot after defender Chika Wali missed averting the situation.
Barring these two clear-cut chances, the first half was marred with several injuries. Lajong was hit bad when Lalramluaha clashed with Arata accidently and ended up injuring his forehead.
After a barren first half, Pune came out attacking in the second session.
Douhou worked well with Jeje Lalpekhlua, but on several occasion Pune forwards lacked the final touch.
The creative Douhou many a times went on solo runs and did well to set up his teammamtes with clear cut chances.
Lajong also pushed forward but were constantly thwarted by Pune backline and more so by goalkeeper Shahinlal Meloly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Terror and death: Survivors recount Kabul university attack
- France`s highest court to rule Friday on burkini ban
- Casualty rate soars for Afghan security forces: NATO
- Sheena Bora murder case: 20 clips of recorded telephone conversations emerge
- Rio Olympics after-effects: Marathon runner OP Jaisha also tests positive for H1N1; hospitalised