Puyol, Bartra increase Barca`s injury problems
Madrid: Brazilian full-back Adriano looks set to play at the centre of Barcelona`s defence in the Copa del Rey final against Real Madrid as captain Carles Puyol and Marc Bartra were unable to train with the rest of the squad on Wednesday morning.
Puyol, who will leave the club at the end of the campaign due to ongoing injury problems, has missed most of the season due to knee troubles, whilst Bartra strained his hamstring as Barca were knocked out of the Champions League by Atletico Madrid last week.
Gerard Pique has also been ruled out due to a hairline fracture in his hip.
Coach Gerardo Martino had used Sergio Busquets and Alex Song at centre-back during the Catalans` 1-0 defeat to Granada at the weekend, but Spanish media reported that Adriano was the favourite to partner Javier Mascherano on Wednesday night, to allow Busquets to maintain his normal role in midfield.
Chilean Alexis Sanchez is also expected to start up front for Barca with Cesc Fabregas paying for his poor form of late by being dropped to the bench.
Real have huge injury problems of their own as Cristiano Ronaldo misses out due to a hamstring injury.
Gareth Bale will be expected to fill the World Player of the Year`s shoes in his first final for Madrid as he is likely to start in Ronaldo`s usual position on the left side of the attack alongside Karim Benzema and Angel di Maria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal