Puyol to play on for Spain for two more years
Madrid: Spain defender Carles Puyol has decided to play on for the world champions until 2012, meaning the European championships jointly hosted that year by Ukraine and Poland could be his international swansong.
"After mulling over the issue a great deal, I have decided to continue playing for the national team for two more years," the 32-year-old Puyol said on his personal blog.
The Barcelona captain added that he had discussed the decision with Spain coach Vicente del Bosque, sporting director Fernando Hierro and friends.
Puyol formed a highly effective central defensive partnership with club team mate Gerard Pique at the World Cup in South Africa and scored a towering header to give Spain a 1-0 win over Germany in the semi-finals.
He has scored three goals for Spain in 90 appearances and made his debut in November 2000 in a 2-1 friendly defeat at home to 2010 World Cup final opponents Netherlands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIC chairman S K Roy resigns two years before his term ends
- UEFA Euro 2016: Cristiano Ronaldo rescues Portugal; Belgium seal last-16 berth in Zlatan Ibrahimovic's farewell
- Hello hotness! Deepika Padukone looks kickass in an all blue satin grace!
- Salman Khan ‘raped woman’ remark controversy: Actor evades media, refuses to say ‘sorry’ – Watch
- Amazing! Ahmedabad hotel made out of discarded containers set to woo customers