Puyol to play on for Spain for two more years
Madrid: Spain defender Carles Puyol has decided to play on for the world champions until 2012, meaning the European championships jointly hosted that year by Ukraine and Poland could be his international swansong.
"After mulling over the issue a great deal, I have decided to continue playing for the national team for two more years," the 32-year-old Puyol said on his personal blog.
The Barcelona captain added that he had discussed the decision with Spain coach Vicente del Bosque, sporting director Fernando Hierro and friends.
Puyol formed a highly effective central defensive partnership with club team mate Gerard Pique at the World Cup in South Africa and scored a towering header to give Spain a 1-0 win over Germany in the semi-finals.
He has scored three goals for Spain in 90 appearances and made his debut in November 2000 in a 2-1 friendly defeat at home to 2010 World Cup final opponents Netherlands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees