Qualified Ecuador remember Benitez
Quito: Ecuador`s Colombian coach Reinaldo Rueda on Tuesday dedicated his team`s qualification for the World Cup to Christian Benítez, the former Birmingham striker who died in July.
A tearful Rueda praised his side for overcoming the shock loss of Benitez, who died of heart failure just weeks after joining Qatari club Al Jaish.
Crowds in the capital Quito also chanted "Chucho, Chucho" -- the 27-year-old`s nickname -- as they turned out to celebrate bagging the fourth and final automatic South American qualifying spot.
A 2-1 loss to Chile in Santiago still saw the Ecuadorans push two-time world champions Uruguay into a playoff with Jordan on goal difference.
President Rafael Correa also praised Benitez during a series of fulsome tributes to the squad on Twitter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal