Qualified Ecuador remember Benitez
Quito: Ecuador`s Colombian coach Reinaldo Rueda on Tuesday dedicated his team`s qualification for the World Cup to Christian Benítez, the former Birmingham striker who died in July.
A tearful Rueda praised his side for overcoming the shock loss of Benitez, who died of heart failure just weeks after joining Qatari club Al Jaish.
Crowds in the capital Quito also chanted "Chucho, Chucho" -- the 27-year-old`s nickname -- as they turned out to celebrate bagging the fourth and final automatic South American qualifying spot.
A 2-1 loss to Chile in Santiago still saw the Ecuadorans push two-time world champions Uruguay into a playoff with Jordan on goal difference.
President Rafael Correa also praised Benitez during a series of fulsome tributes to the squad on Twitter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Japan, China, South Korea agree to urge North Korea to stop provocation
- Venus-Jupiter conjunction on August 27: Viewing tips! (Watch)
- Staying at budget hotels in Delhi to soon become cheaper
- Sonakshi Sinha looks dayum fresh after 'Akira' promotions! Picture proof
- Delhi University releases seventh cut-off list, admission process begins today