Qualified Ecuador remember Benitez
Quito: Ecuador`s Colombian coach Reinaldo Rueda on Tuesday dedicated his team`s qualification for the World Cup to Christian Benítez, the former Birmingham striker who died in July.
A tearful Rueda praised his side for overcoming the shock loss of Benitez, who died of heart failure just weeks after joining Qatari club Al Jaish.
Crowds in the capital Quito also chanted "Chucho, Chucho" -- the 27-year-old`s nickname -- as they turned out to celebrate bagging the fourth and final automatic South American qualifying spot.
A 2-1 loss to Chile in Santiago still saw the Ecuadorans push two-time world champions Uruguay into a playoff with Jordan on goal difference.
President Rafael Correa also praised Benitez during a series of fulsome tributes to the squad on Twitter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- DNA: Analysing the derogatory remarks made by Chinese Newspaper on Indians
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption