Qualified Ecuador remember Benitez
Quito: Ecuador`s Colombian coach Reinaldo Rueda on Tuesday dedicated his team`s qualification for the World Cup to Christian Benítez, the former Birmingham striker who died in July.
A tearful Rueda praised his side for overcoming the shock loss of Benitez, who died of heart failure just weeks after joining Qatari club Al Jaish.
Crowds in the capital Quito also chanted "Chucho, Chucho" -- the 27-year-old`s nickname -- as they turned out to celebrate bagging the fourth and final automatic South American qualifying spot.
A 2-1 loss to Chile in Santiago still saw the Ecuadorans push two-time world champions Uruguay into a playoff with Jordan on goal difference.
President Rafael Correa also praised Benitez during a series of fulsome tributes to the squad on Twitter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal