Qualified Ecuador remember Benitez
Quito: Ecuador`s Colombian coach Reinaldo Rueda on Tuesday dedicated his team`s qualification for the World Cup to Christian Benítez, the former Birmingham striker who died in July.
A tearful Rueda praised his side for overcoming the shock loss of Benitez, who died of heart failure just weeks after joining Qatari club Al Jaish.
Crowds in the capital Quito also chanted "Chucho, Chucho" -- the 27-year-old`s nickname -- as they turned out to celebrate bagging the fourth and final automatic South American qualifying spot.
A 2-1 loss to Chile in Santiago still saw the Ecuadorans push two-time world champions Uruguay into a playoff with Jordan on goal difference.
President Rafael Correa also praised Benitez during a series of fulsome tributes to the squad on Twitter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE adopts moderation policy in granting marks in Class XII exam: Govt
- Viral video: Girl performs a sizzling hot sexy dance and suddenly door opens - Know what happens next
- Ties will be hit if cleric is not extradited, Turkey warns US
- Dalit youth dies in police raid in Surat, locals allege murder
- Temple board firm on no entry to women between 10 to 50 in Sabarimala