Questions to answer as Barca entertain Valencia
Madrid: FC Barcelona coach Tito Vilanova faces another tough test as his side entertains Valencia in the Primera Liga Sunday.
Wednesday`s 1-2 defeat to Real Madrid in the Spanish Supercup was Barca`s first setback of the season and raised several questions over Vilanova`s side, reports Xinhua.
Defensive errors cost Barcelona dear against Madrid as Gerard Pique and Javier Mascherano both misjudged fairly straightforward passes and that could persuade Vilanova to recall captain, Carles Puyol, who missed out on Wednesday with a broken right cheek.
Puyol could return to the side wearing a protective mask, as he has done in the past, but there is doubt over Dani Alves, who had to pull out of the side at the last minute Wednesday after suffering a muscle problem.
Alex Song looks to be in line for a start after performing impressively in the second half in Madrid, while Xavi Hernandez could be rested at the start of the game.
One of the big doubts in the start of the season at Barcelona is the role of Cesc Fabregas. The former Arsenal player was used in an advanced role last season by Pep Guardiola, but Vilanova clearly doesn`t see Cesc as a deep lying forward.
The problem is with Sergio Busquets, Iniesta, Song and Xavi all occupying the central midfield roles, Cesc doesn`t appear to have a place in the middle of the pitch and has spent a lot of the early season watching from the dugout with a none-too happy look on his face.
Vilanova may look for a way to give Cesc minutes against Valencia and that could see Iniesta also earn a rest after his trip to Monaco, where he was named as UEFA footballer of the 2011-2012 season Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25