Racism in sports is stupid: Didier Drogba
New Delhi: Star footballer Didier Drogba, who helped Chelsea lift the UEFA Champions League last month, on Sunday termed incidents of racism in football as "stupid" but acknowledged that it exists in the sport.
Here in the capital for the Pepsi T20 football grand finale, Drogba said those who indulged in racist practices in football did not know that the sport "unifies" people.
"Unfortunately, it (racism) never stops. There is racism in football by some people," he told a packed press conference.
"Football is a great sport. It unifies a lot of people from different cultures. I like meeting people from different cultures. People who don`t know the game properly are into this (racism). We can do without these stupid ideas. People who are doing this don`t know how difficult life is," he said.
Incidents of racism has hit the ongoing European Championships in Poland and Ukraine with the UEFA charging Croatia for racist chants by their fans in a match against Italy.
The European soccer`s governing body is also investigating reports of alleged racist chanting during Italy`s match against Spain and Russia`s match against the Czech Republic.
Drogba, who has decided to leave Chelsea after helping the London-based English Premier League side, refused to divulge where he is heading to, amid reports that Shanghai Shenhua is on the verge of signing him.
"Now I can`t divulge where I am heading to. It will be known soon. But I can say that my eight years in Chelsea were the best years in my football career. My heart is blue (the colour of Chelsea jersey).
"I love the fans. I have a special relationship with them and with the team management and the players. We have been able to make Chelsea a football brand around the world," said the 34-year-old striker.
Drogba picked Argentina captain and FC Barcelona striker Lionel Messi as the best footballer he has ever played against.
"I will pick Messi. He is the best player I have played against," Drogba said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- LIVE: Donald Trump takes charge as 45th President of US; Barack Obama thanks supporters