New Delhi: Ending all speculations, Real Madrid on Monday sacked their head coach Rafa Benitez after holding a board meeting earlier in the day, according to multiple reports.
Earlier, Sports daily Marca reported Benitez`s sacking will be made official in the coming hours with French legend and the club`s reserve team coach Zinedine Zidane to take over.
According to a report in ESPN FC, Cuatro and Onda Cero said that members of the club hierarchy were due to hold an emergency meeting to determine whether to sack Benitez on Monday, and both Marca and AS have reported that he has now been dismissed.
The former Liverpool and Chelsea boss has endured a tough season at the Bernabeu since taking over in June.
The two newspapers said Zinedine Zidane, currently in charge of the club’s Castilla reserve side, is due to take over.
He was named Carlo Ancelotti’s replacement in June but there was speculation from the outset that several senior players did not welcome the appointment.