Rafael van der Vaart returns to Hamburg
Berlin: Dutch international and former Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Rafael van der Vaart headed back to Hamburger SV to sign a three-year deal, the club said at the official press conference at Imtech Arena.
Just before the deadline of the transfer period Friday, and after four years of absence, Hamburg fan favourite Rafael van der Vaart returned to his former club where he already played between 2005 and 2008. At his three years with the "Rothosen", he netted 29 goals in 74 appearances.
"Rafael is a top player. He is fit and has lot of experience. He can handle the pressure and will help the youngsters in our team," Hamburg sporting director Frank Arnesen said.
Hamburger SV made a disappointing start to the 2012/2013 season following the surprise elimination in the first round of the DFB Pokal (German Cup) against third division team Karlsruher SC and the loss against Nuremberg at the first match day.
"With the transfer to Hamburg a dream came true. Here I had the best time of my career. I`m not Superman but I think we have the potential in the team to return to top of the standings. If the confidence returns a lot is possible," van der Vaart said.
In his two years at Tottenham Hotspur, he made 63 appearances scoring 24 goals. Since 2001 he has been part of the Dutch international squad, where he scored 19 goals in 100 caps.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone