Raining champs PSG see off Lorient to go top
Paris: Paris Saint Germain were singing in the rain at Parc des Princes on Friday, the French champions making light of the wintery weather to ease past Lorient 4-0 and extend their unbeaten Ligue 1 run to 23 games.
Goals from Lucas, Jeremy Menez and an Edison Cavani double lifted Laurent Blanc`s men three points clear of Monaco at the top of the table.
The performance was a perfect riposte to Blanc`s eve-of-match warning about the danger of complacency seeping into his swashbuckling team and their laboured 2-2 draw with Saint Etienne last time out.
The former France boss needn`t have worried as this Friday night run out against struggling Lorient left PSG only six games shy of the club record of 37 games without losing.
Blanc retained his preferred 4-3-3 system with Cavani filling in the role of Swedish star striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic, missing with an injured knee.
PSG raced into a three minute lead when Brazil midfielder Lucas, unattended by the far post, volleyed the ball past Lorient keeper Fabien Audard in a move begun by Lucas Digne.
Menez doubled their advantage five minutes before the interval, outfoxing Baptiste Reynet, who had come on to replace the injured Audard between the Lorient posts.
The Ligue 1 champions were running riot in the rain and Cavani`s header made it three after stoic work by Lucas to tighten their grip on the game before they headed off to the dressing rooms.
Lorient never looked capable of fighting their way back and the final word fittingly went to PSG when Cavani fired in a rebound after a late corner taken by Menez to cap a good night`s work in the French capital.
That was the Uruguayan`s ninth of the season and he now heads the Ligue 1 scoring charts.
While Lorient were left hovering just three points above the relegation zone for PSG this win will act as an ideal springboard to next week`s Champions League date with Anderlecht.
Monaco, who had sat second on goal difference before Friday`s action in the French capital, can reduce the gap when they face third-placed Lille on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi