Rangdajied United FC beat Mohun Bagan 3-0
Shillong: Rangdajied United FC produced yet another brilliant performance to register their third successive victory, defeating Kolkata giant Mohun Bagan 3-0 in an I-League match on saturday.
With this win, United FC climbed at least three spots in the points table.
The home side upset table topper Bengaluru FC and United FC before destroying Mohun Bagan`s hope of improving their points tally within a 14 day-gap.
A precise Tomba Singh opened the score card for his team in the 20th minute when his powerful right footer from 30 yards left the Bagan`s keeper Sandip Nandy wanting for more power in his fingers to stop the ball.
Eugeneson who was brought down by Denson Devadas, made no mistake in sending a curvy shot into the box as Bagan`s defenders were left nervy with the presence of Ranti Martin up close.
The ball that eventually found an advancing Tomba Singh`s precise right foot flew past the keeper hitting the left corner of the net.
Just as the crowd were about to settle down after celebrating the home team`s first goal, a swift Kim Yong doubled the lead when he took a low shot of Steven Dias free kick from the right in the 35th minute, sending the stadium into raptures.
Three minutes later, the home side tripled their score when an unchecked Ranti Martin netted with style a deflected ball from Eugeneson`s shot in the box.
The visitors who were found wanting in all positions managed to score their solitary goal through Odafa Onyeka Okolie.
The Nigerian striker Odafa partnered with Chizoba well up front, leaving Rangdajied`s defenders at a lose, as the former got past the keeper to make it 1-3 for the Mariners.
A completely devastated Mohun Bagan recuperated after the break with certain inputs from Karim Bencherifa but their efforts went in vain.
The Rangdajied boys were in no mood to relent. Eugene and Ranti kept Bagan`s defenders on their toes up front as the visitors failed to make inroads into the home territory with Lamine Tamba creating a thick wall.
Instead, Rangdajied nearly finished with another goal in the 69th minute had Munmun Lugun not failed in keeping the ball within his grasp inside the box with a lone defender and a keeper to beat.
The I-League debutant and a second team from Meghalaya to be playing in India`s top tier football, climbed up at least three spots from being at 11 in the table, as the went one point ahead of Mohun Bagan`s 21 points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok