Rangdajied United hold Lajong 0-0, escape relegation
Shillong: Rangdajied United FC escaped relegation after securing a point playing a goalless draw against Shillong Lajong FC at an I-League return-leg derby in front of a nearly-packed JN Stadium here on Monday.
Rangdajied, thus, ended their season with 25 points from 24 matches, leaving behind former I-League champion Churchill Brothers and Mohammedan Sporting FC in the relegation zone.
Lajong FC, on the other hand, with 33 points from 23 outings and a match yet to be played, remained in the top tier of seven teams.
The match, however, failed to live upto the expected hype as both the teams took to safe gameplans and concentrated in the midfield.
The first of the two chances in the first-half came in the 30th minute which, however, failed to yield any result when Lajong`s Subash Singh long-ranger went wide of the target. And 11 minutes later a brilliant save by Rangdajied custodian denied Lajong`s Brazilian recruit Uilliams Bomfins a goal.
After the change of ends, though Rangdajied made two attacking substitutions, bringing in T Lalnunpuia for Munmun Lugun and David Ngaihte for Steven Dias, none of the strikers could make inroads into their opponent`s citadel.
In fact, the Shillong-side`s couple of changes also could not earn them any result.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan