Rapist Ched Evans told to rule out Malta move

Convicted rapist Ched Evans was warned on Saturday that he won`t be allowed to resume his career overseas.

AFP| Last Updated: Jan 03, 2015, 23:29 PM IST
Rapist Ched Evans told to rule out Malta move

London: Convicted rapist Ched Evans was warned on Saturday that he won`t be allowed to resume his career overseas.

Evans has been looking for a new club following his release from prison last year and the former Wales and Sheffield United striker was offered the chance to join Maltese side Hibernians until the end of the season on Friday.

But the Ministry of Justice (MoJ) moved quickly to rule out that possibility, pointing out that, as a convicted sex offender on licence, the 26-year-old is effectively barred from working abroad.

"We are determined to have one of the toughest regimes in the world for managing sex offenders, to stop them re-offending and to protect victims," a MoJ spokesman said.

"Probation officers must give permission for sex offenders on licence to take up new jobs and this includes ensuring they hold regular face to face meetings - this effectively rules out working abroad.

"The offenders will also be subject to strict conditions such as exclusion zones, non-contact orders and having to attend sex offender treatment programmes."

The announcement is a further setback to Evans who has been seeking to return to action following his release from prison in October after serving two-and-half of a five year sentence for rape.

He was initially given permission by Sheffield United to return to train with the club at the request of players union the Professional Footballers Association.

But following a backlash from United supporters and sponsors, including 160,000 people signing a petition opposing his return, the League One club retracted the offer.

Since then, English lower league teams Tranmere, Oldham and Hartlepool have all turned down the opportunity to sign him.

Evans was jailed in April 2012 for raping a woman in a hotel room in Rhyl, North Wales.

The player denied the offence, saying the sex was consensual, but he was found guilty by a jury at Caernarfon Crown Court.