Raul scores 400th goal in Schalke win
Berlin: Raul scored his 400th professional goal to set Schalke 04 on their way to an emphatic 4-0 win over VfL Wolfsburg on Sunday, handing visiting coach Felix Magath an unhappy return to the club he left just under one year ago.
Raul, signed by Magath before the start of last season, opened the scoring in the 10th minute. Klaas Jan Huntelaar helped himself to two goals and missed a penalty and Joel Matip scored the other.
"I didn`t know it was my 400th goal but I`m happy, it`s nice the reach this milestone," Raul told Sky. "The best thing was that we won today."
The 34-year-old Spaniard scored 323 goals for Real Madrid and 44 for Spain before adding another 33 in only 18 months at the Gelsenkirchen-based club.
Magath was making his second return to Schalke since his departure last March, the previous having ended in a 1-0 defeat.
He is in his second stint with Wolfsburg, who he led to the 2008-09 Bundesliga title.
Schalke, fourth in the table with 44 points from 22 games, moved within one point of third-placed Bayern Munich who were held by Freiburg on Saturday.
Borussia Dortmund lead with 49 points, followed by Borussia Moenchengladbach on 46.
Wolfsburg have the worst away record in the Bundesliga, having taken four points from 11 outings, and were quickly in trouble as they fell 2-0 behind in 15 minutes.
Jefferson Farfan`s corner was headed on at the near post by Matip and Raul, left unmarked at the far post, turned the ball in.
Five minutes later, Schalke broke down the left and Christian Fuchs sent over an inviting low cross which Huntelaar side-footed past Diego Benaglio.
Wolfsburg could have pulled one back when Yohandry Orozco was sent clear but his shot was blocked by Lars Unnerstall, then Mario Mandzukic fired wildly over.
Huntelaar was twice denied by Benaglio before halftime, the first from a penalty which he hit at the centre of the goal and was comfortably saved by the Swiss goalkeeper.
But the hosts increased their lead four minutes after the break when Matip scored with a cheeky backheel following a corner.
Huntelaar completed the scoring in the 72nd minute, the Dutchman heading his 18th league goal of the season after Fuchs crossed from the left at the second attempt.
"We made it far too easy for them," said Benaglio.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- SC asks Haryana Police to finish AIPMT paper leak probe
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise