Real coach Ancelotti wants balance to Bale, Ronaldo brilliance
Madrid: Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti will be looking for more of the same from his star-studded front line when his team travel across town to face Rayo Vallecano in La Liga on Saturday.
The Italian lauded the offensive explosion of his front three of Gareth Bale, Cristiano Ronaldo and Karim Benzema as they combined to smash seven goals past Sevilla on Wednesday.
Ronaldo bagged his 22nd Madrid hat-trick, whilst Bale and Benzema scored twice and had two assists as both men produced easily their best performance of the season so far.
However, Ancelotti was less enamoured with his side`s defending as Real conceded twice in quick succession before half-time and, after losing a third goal to a sweet strike from Ivan Rakitic, also saw the Croat miss a second-half penalty before eventually running out 7-3 winners.
"It was a bit of a crazy game and we scored a lot of goals," said Ancelotti.
"But we lacked a bit of balance because when you are leading 3-0 you have to be more careful to avoid problems.
"We had a lot of great individual performances, particularly up front. I think the three there have played very well and tried to pressure very high up. We lacked balance because we didn`t press as well in midfield and we had problems on the wings.
"We need to look for that balance with the other seven players because I want those three to keep pressing high."
There should be plenty of opportunities for Bale, Ronaldo and Benzema to rack up their goal tally again on Saturday when they face the worst defence in any of Europe`s major leagues.
Rayo have conceded 27 goals in their 11 league games to date and, after an eighth defeat of the season at Osasuna on Wednesday, coach Paco Jemez said his side "looked like a team of kids in an adult league."
Ancelotti has a fully fit squad to choose from for the short journey to Vallecas and he hinted that Xabi Alonso could start after making his first appearance of the season for the final 25 minutes against Sevilla.
"I am very happy. Now I don`t have any problems and I expect to improve bit by bit by competing and being useful for the team," Alonso said.
"I have the feeling that the team is already formed, although there are things to polish up on, but the season is very long.
"We are reinforcing what we are doing well and correcting what we can do better, we expect to get to where we want to this season."
Sergio Ramos will also be available despite picking up his fifth booking of the season in midweek as his ban will not be enforced until next weekend.
Atletico Madrid, who lead Real by five points in second place, are in action on Sunday when they host high-flying Athletic Bilbao at the Vicente Calderon.
In the the only weekend`s fixture taking place Friday, Barcelona extended their lead at the top after overcoming stiff resistance from Espanyol to win their Catalan derby 1-0 at the Camp Nou.
Alexis Sanchez scored the only goal of the game midway through the second-half when he tapped home Neymar`s pinpoint cross to score for the third consecutive game.
However, it was another frustrating evening for Lionel Messi as he failed to score for a fourth consecutive La Liga match.
Barca now lead second-placed Atletico Madrid by four points and Real Madrid by nine with both sides from the capital having played a game less.
Fixtures (all times GMT)
Saturday: Real Sociedad v Osasuna (1500), Almeria v Valladolid (1700), Rayo Vallecano v Real Madrid (1900), Sevilla v Celta Vigo (2100)
Sunday: Getafe v Valencia (1100), Atletico Madrid v Athletic Bilbao (1600), Levante v Granada (1800), Malaga v Real Betis (2000)
Monday: Elche v Villarreal (2100)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview