Real forward Jese ruptures cruciate ligament
MADRID: Real Madrid forward Jese faces a lengthy period on the sidelines after rupturing the cruciate ligament in his right knee in Tuesday`s Champions League win over Schalke 04.
The 21-year-old was knocked to the ground and landed awkwardly when he tangled with Schalke defender Sead Kolasinac in the second minute at the Bernabeu and had to be replaced by Gareth Bale.
"He has had bad luck and everyone at Real Madrid has had bad luck because we will lose a young player who has been doing very well this season," coach Carlo Ancelotti told a news conference.
"But this is football and players suffer injuries at times during their careers. We are sad and it has affected us a lot but it could be a chance for him to build strength of character. We have to stay positive.
"We will help him through it and wait for him to come back next season." Real won 9-2 on aggregate, after a 3-1 home win in the second leg, to reach the Champions League quarter-finals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!