Real Madrid 6-2 Malaga: Ronaldo reaches 200 goals in romp
Madrid: Jose Mourinho`s Real Madrid efficiently dispatched nine-man Malaga 6-2 at Bernabeu in La Liga`s re-arranged fixture on Wednesday, to make Barcelona wait before clinching the title.
Goals from Raul Albiol, Cristiano Ronaldo, Mesut Ozil, Karim Benzema, Angel Di Maria and Luka Modric wrapped up the win for Madrid, with the visitors ending the match with nine men following dismissals for Sergio Sanchez and Martin Demichelis.
Ronaldo celebrated notching his 200th goal for the club in 197 appearances, smashing home an indirect free-kick in what proved to be a one-sided affair.
Albiol gave his side a dream start after merely three minutes, heading home a Modric corner at the back post, but initial good work was undone when Malaga replied with their own set piece conversion 12 minutes later, as Roque Santa Cruz escaped his marker at the to tap home.
On 21 minutes, Ronaldo was tugged down by Malaga`s Sergio Sanchez in the visitors` box, resulting in a penalty and a red card produced for the Spaniard. Despite stepping up assuredly, Ronaldo saw his penalty effort saved brilliantly by the toe of Willy.
The mood inside Bernabeu was to change only minutes later, as Ronaldo made no mistake from an indirect free-kick from 10 yards, blasting the ball into the top right corner - despite debatable positioning from both the Malaga wall and goalkeeper.
Just after the half hour mark, it was three for Los Blancos, as Malaga fell victim to the trademark Real Madrid counterattack. Ozil was threaded through on goal by Gonzalo Higuain, before chopping nicely inside Antunes and sliding the ball past Willy.
Malaga were not be be counted out of the game before the half time whistle, however, as Antunes found the net from an advanced position. After being laid off by Javier Portillo, the left-back cut inside before unleashing a right footed drive into the top corner, leaving Diego Lopez with no chance.
A forced change of goalkeeper proved to make no difference to the first-half onslaught of Mourinho`s men, as Ronaldo toyed with substitute Carlos Kameni, before squaring the ball for Benzema to tap home unmarked in first half stoppage time.
The second half started in a different vein to the first, as Madrid began to press and exert their dominance as a result to their extra man, but goals and clear cut opportunities were not forthcoming.
Despite a 20 minute lull, the away side couldn`t stay resilient, and it was five on 64 minutes. The tireless Modric picked up a goal for all of his good work, finding the inside of the post with a long-range strike.
Things went from bad to worse for the visitors in the 73rd minute, as Demichelis was shown a second yellow for bringing down Ronaldo, halting the Portuguese international`s mazy run.
Di Maria ended the rout in style in second half stoppage time, firing a low drive into the bottom corner, despite Kameni`s best efforts to get down to his right.
Mourinho reaches the 80 point mark in style, and his Real Madrid side move eight points ahead of rivals Atletico with only three league games left to play.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues