Real Madrid beat Everton 2-1, moves to final
Los Angeles: Ronaldo scored Real`s first goal in the 17th minute and set up Mesut Ozil for the second just after the half-hour mark as Carlo Ancelotti`s team dominated Everton in the first half.
Roberto Martinez`s Everton side came back into the match after the break and deservedly got on the scoresheet in the 61st minute through substitute Nikica Jelavic but the men in blue could not manage an equaliser at Dodger Stadium on Saturday.
The win takes Real into the final of the pre-season tournament on Wednesday, where they will face the winner of AC Milan and Chelsea.
Real looked the better side in the opening 15 minutes but struggled to beat Everton`s offside trap, until a misplaced pass from Seamus Coleman sparked one of the Spanish side`s famously brutal counter-attacks.
Ozil released Ronaldo in behind Sylvain Distin and the Portuguese forward took a touch around Everton goalkeeper Tim Howard and slid the ball home from a tight angle.
Most of Everton`s early attacks came down the right-hand side and in the 23rd minute it was the same story as Kevin Mirallas sparked one of the more controversial moments of the match.
The Belgian winger went past one Real player before he was tripped on the edge of the area by Sami Khedira.
While the German midfielder was inside the box when he made the tackle, his boot appeared to make contact with Mirallas just outside and the referee whistled for a free-kick instead of a penalty.
Just two minutes later and Everton`s Marouane Fellaini headed a corner onto the post, while on the half-hour mark Distin`s header hit the back of the net but the goal was disallowed for a foul on Khedira.
Real immediately took advantage of that decision as Ronaldo teed up Ozil to make it 2-0 after a brilliant chipped pass over the top from Luka Modric.
The La Liga club held on to their 2-0 lead until half-time but seven minutes after the break Everton almost got on the scoreboard when Mirallas, who was arguably Martinez`s best player, found Jelavic in the box but the Croatian striker`s back-heel flick did not have enough power to beat Real goalkeeper Diego Lopez.
Jelavic, who came on for Arouna Kone, was causing Real`s defence some trouble and just after the hour mark he made it 2-1.
A move down the right wing saw Coleman overlap and cross to Steven Naismith at the back post, who headed the ball down for Jelavic to score with his first touch.
Everton`s goal seemed to spark Real with Daniel Carvajal and Jese Rodriguez forcing Howard into smart saves.
Martinez`s team almost equalised with 12 minutes remaining but Phil Jagielka`s diving header from Leighton Baines` free-kick looped over the bar and Real held on for victory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP win big with 81 seats, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis Maharashtra thanks Maharashtra voters, PM Modi
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP wins big, grabs 81 BMC seats; Fadnavis credits PM Narendra Modi
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway