Real Madrid face Valencia test in La Liga
Madrid: Real Madrid will look to overcome the effects of jetlag and tired legs when they travel to play third placed Valencia in the Spanish La Liga football Saturday night.
The return to league action after the international break always poses problems for sides who have had players away on international duty and Real Madrid have suffered more than many with players such as Gonzalo Higuain, Marcelo, Sergio Ramos, Xabi Alonso all making transatlantic flights during the week.
Cristiano Ronaldo and Pepe were both involved in Portugal`s European Championship qualifying tie against Bosnia Herzegovina over the past fortnight.
Valencia are currently third in the league table and a win for Madrid take the league leaders eight points clear of their rivals and would once again open up the debate as to whether or not the Spanish league has been reduced to a two-horse race between Madrid and Barcelona, Xinhua reported.
Valencia will be highly motivated for the game, especially given that last season they lost 6-3 at home to Madrid in the same fixture in what was their worst display of the season in a match they had trailed 5-0 at halftime.
The home side are without key midfielder Banega, who is out for a month with a knee injury. Real Madrid have lost winger Angel di Maria with a torn hamstring.
Di Maria set up Madrid`s first three goals in the 7-1 win over Osasuna a fortnight ago and has a total of 10 league assists for the season. He will be missed, but his absence could allow Karim Benzema and Higuain to play together in the Madrid attack, or give Javier Callejon a place in the starting line up.
Valencia will look to top scorer Roberto Soldado, who is highly motivated against his former club, while central defenders Adil Rami and Victor Ruiz should provide Madrid`s strikers with the sternest test of the season to date.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ED summons former Air Chief Marshal S.P. Tyagi
- DNA: When will Muslim women get freedom from triple divorce?
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Ex-servicemen suspend OROP protest, threaten to intensify agitation if demands not met
- West Bengal goes for fifth phase of polling on Saturday
- Tajikistan bans Russian-style surnames for children
- S&P keeps UK on triple-A rating, says expects no Brexit
- Google Translate turns 10: Five interesting things you want to know about it