Real Madrid need Supercup win to boost morale
Madrid: Real Madrid have the chance to forget a dreadful start to the current football season when they entertain FC Barcelona in the return leg of the Spanish Supercup Wednesday.
Madrid go into the game 2-3 down after the first leg, which was played in Barca`s Camp Nou Stadium. Jose Mourinho`s side can be thankful for a dreadful error from Barca keeper, Victor Valdes, which gifted his side their second goal of the night, for keeping their hopes of the title alive.
A 1-0 or 2-1 win for Madrid would see them claim the title on away goals, but it is not going to be easy despite Madrid playing in front of a packed Santiago Bernabeu Stadium.
Barca have had a good record in their rival`s backyard in recent times, winning in the Bernabeu in both the Primera Liga and the Supercup last season. The Catalans have lifted the Supercup for three consecutive seasons and new coach Tito Vilanova knows that although the Primera Liga is the main prize, defeating Madrid in their early season trophy, would be the perfect start to build confidence at the start of his reign as Barca coach.
While Madrid have had a poor beginning to the season, drawing at home to Valencia and losing at the weekend in Getafe, Barca have won their two opening matches and have a five point lead over the side that is destined to be their main rival for the league title.
Barca captain Carles Puyol could play in a protective facemask after breaking his right cheek, while Pepe could return for Madrid after suffering concussion in the opening league match of the campaign.
Meanwhile new Madrid signing Luka Modric could make the substitutes` bench after completing a 35 million euro transfer from Tottenham Hotspurs Monday.
A win for Madrid would help change the atmosphere after their poor start to the season, while if Barca can lift the Supercup for the fourth consecutive season, it would cap a perfect start for Vilanova.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation – Part II
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof