Real Madrid need Supercup win to boost morale
Madrid: Real Madrid have the chance to forget a dreadful start to the current football season when they entertain FC Barcelona in the return leg of the Spanish Supercup Wednesday.
Madrid go into the game 2-3 down after the first leg, which was played in Barca`s Camp Nou Stadium. Jose Mourinho`s side can be thankful for a dreadful error from Barca keeper, Victor Valdes, which gifted his side their second goal of the night, for keeping their hopes of the title alive.
A 1-0 or 2-1 win for Madrid would see them claim the title on away goals, but it is not going to be easy despite Madrid playing in front of a packed Santiago Bernabeu Stadium.
Barca have had a good record in their rival`s backyard in recent times, winning in the Bernabeu in both the Primera Liga and the Supercup last season. The Catalans have lifted the Supercup for three consecutive seasons and new coach Tito Vilanova knows that although the Primera Liga is the main prize, defeating Madrid in their early season trophy, would be the perfect start to build confidence at the start of his reign as Barca coach.
While Madrid have had a poor beginning to the season, drawing at home to Valencia and losing at the weekend in Getafe, Barca have won their two opening matches and have a five point lead over the side that is destined to be their main rival for the league title.
Barca captain Carles Puyol could play in a protective facemask after breaking his right cheek, while Pepe could return for Madrid after suffering concussion in the opening league match of the campaign.
Meanwhile new Madrid signing Luka Modric could make the substitutes` bench after completing a 35 million euro transfer from Tottenham Hotspurs Monday.
A win for Madrid would help change the atmosphere after their poor start to the season, while if Barca can lift the Supercup for the fourth consecutive season, it would cap a perfect start for Vilanova.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail