Real Madrid next season? Maybe not, says Mourinho
Madrid: Jose Mourinho has added to ongoing speculation surrounding his Real Madrid future by refusing to state that he would remain with the club next season.
A 2-0 win against Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League semi-final return fixture was not enough for los Blancos to overturn their first-leg deficit and book a place in the final, and following the failure the 50-year-old coach revealed his uncertainty regarding his current job.
When asked if he would be with Madrid next season, Mourinho, who has been consistently linked with a move away from the Santiago Bernabeu, told ITV: "Maybe not. I want to be where people love me to be."
"I have a contract, respect for the club and the president. I want to play the [Copa del Rey] final, finish the season, finish second," the Madrid coach later told Sky Sports.
"I know I`m loved in England. Loved by the fans, the media. I know I`m loved by some clubs - especially one. In Spain it`s different - some people hate me. It`s difficult to make a decision because I like the club. I like the president."
The former Inter boss also lamented his side`s first leg performance in which they were defeated 4-1 and says the Spaniards could still have progressed despite that result.
"In football, you win or you lose. I think we could [have won the tie]. They had a couple of big chances but as a consequence of the way we were playing in the last part of the match, where we risked absolutely everything," he said.
"But I think today [Tuesday] we were a team with character, desire and we could do it. I don’t forget the first match and in the first match we were very, very bad.
"And in this moment we are punished. Not because of this result but the result of the first leg."
Mourinho will now turn his attention to this weekend`s meeting with Valladolid as his side look to secure second position in La Liga.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Brexit shockwaves hit British jobs, consumer confidence
- Mandsaur Muslim women assault case: Four accused held as victims narrate tale of horror
- Rupee rules firm for 3rd day, up 10 paise to 67.04 Vs USD
- Mehbooba Mufti's Burhan Wani bombshell - WATCH what exactly she said
- BELIEVE IT OR NOT! This cricket team was bowled out of just 3 runs – Details inside