Real Madrid push Man Utd off top of rich list
London: Spanish giants Real Madrid have replaced Premier League powerhouse Manchester United at the top of the Forbes list of the world`s most valuable football teams.
United had held first place since business analyst Forbes started compiling the list in 2004, but have been overtaken by Real in the latest rankings.
Barcelona, the current Spanish league leaders, are in third place, while United`s Premier League rivals Arsenal are fourth ahead of newly crowned German champions Bayern Munich.
Real Madrid are valued at £2.15 billion ($3.3 billion), making the Spanish club the most valuable sports franchise in the world, and United at £2.07 billion.
Forbes said in a statement: "This is the first time since Forbes began valuing soccer teams in 2004 that Manchester United is not No.1 on the list.
"Real Madrid has been consistently delivering the highest revenues of any soccer team in the world, despite an intense economic meltdown in Spain.
"With superstars like Cristiano Ronaldo on the pitch, and coach Jose Mourinho on the bench, Real Madrid has thrived under the leadership of billionaire president Florentino Perez.
"According to this year`s soccer valuations, the top 20 teams are worth an average of $968 million (£634 million), an increase of 26 percent over last year."
Paris Saint Germain`s David Beckham still tops the list of highest-earning footballers with earnings of £33 million, £29 million of which came from endorsements.
Ronaldo is second with earnings of £28.8 million and Barcelona`s Lionel Messi in third place with a total of £26 million last year from salary and endorsements.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?