Real Madrid sign Bale for world record fee
Madrid: Real Madrid have confirmed the signing of Gareth Bale from Tottenham Hotspur for a record-breaking €100 million.
The Wales international succeeds new team-mate Cristiano Ronaldo as the game`s most expensive player after penning a six-year contract with the Liga giants.
Bale, who will be officially unveiled as a Madrid player at a press conference at 13:00CET on Monday, first came to prominence as a 16-year-old with Southampton before joining Tottenham in 2007.
The then full-back initially struggled at White Hart Lane but he flourished after being converted into a winger, winning the PFA Players` Player of the Year in 2010-11.
Bale collected the same prize last year, after scoring 26 goals in 44 appearances in all competitions.
His fantastic form was not enough to earn Spurs a place in the Champions League but the 24-year-old will now feature in the competition this season after finally completing his drawn-out move to Madrid.
Indeed, the deal had been expected to be completed last week but Spurs refused to sanction the transfer until replacements had been signed.
However, after signing Erik Lamela and Christian Eriksen, the English outfit belatedly gave Bale`s move the green light.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing