Real Madrid star Pepe undergoes ankle surgery ahead of Manchester United clash
London: The Portuguese centre-back has travelled to his homeland for treatment but is expected to return for the reigning Spanish champions when they take on the Red Devils.
Real Madrid defender Pepe has undergone ankle surgery which is likely to keep him out until the upcoming Champions League clash with Manchester United.
The 29-year-old felt discomfort in his right ankle and travelled to Porto for a consultation on Wednesday morning which ended in doctors deciding on medical intervention.
The Portugal international is now set to undergo a short period of recuperation, though the reigning Liga champions expect him to return for the meeting with the Red Devils on February 13.
The first leg of Real`s last-16 tie will take place at the Santiago Bernabeu, with the return leg scheduled for March 5 at Old Trafford.
Pepe has played a crucial role for Los Blancos so far this term, making 16 league appearances for Jose Mourinho`s side.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed