Real Madrid star Pepe undergoes ankle surgery ahead of Manchester United clash
London: The Portuguese centre-back has travelled to his homeland for treatment but is expected to return for the reigning Spanish champions when they take on the Red Devils.
Real Madrid defender Pepe has undergone ankle surgery which is likely to keep him out until the upcoming Champions League clash with Manchester United.
The 29-year-old felt discomfort in his right ankle and travelled to Porto for a consultation on Wednesday morning which ended in doctors deciding on medical intervention.
The Portugal international is now set to undergo a short period of recuperation, though the reigning Liga champions expect him to return for the meeting with the Red Devils on February 13.
The first leg of Real`s last-16 tie will take place at the Santiago Bernabeu, with the return leg scheduled for March 5 at Old Trafford.
Pepe has played a crucial role for Los Blancos so far this term, making 16 league appearances for Jose Mourinho`s side.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA