Real Madrid star Pepe undergoes ankle surgery ahead of Manchester United clash
London: The Portuguese centre-back has travelled to his homeland for treatment but is expected to return for the reigning Spanish champions when they take on the Red Devils.
Real Madrid defender Pepe has undergone ankle surgery which is likely to keep him out until the upcoming Champions League clash with Manchester United.
The 29-year-old felt discomfort in his right ankle and travelled to Porto for a consultation on Wednesday morning which ended in doctors deciding on medical intervention.
The Portugal international is now set to undergo a short period of recuperation, though the reigning Liga champions expect him to return for the meeting with the Red Devils on February 13.
The first leg of Real`s last-16 tie will take place at the Santiago Bernabeu, with the return leg scheduled for March 5 at Old Trafford.
Pepe has played a crucial role for Los Blancos so far this term, making 16 league appearances for Jose Mourinho`s side.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview