‘Real Madrid worth more than Manchester United’
Madrid: Real Madrid president Florentino Perez has insisted his club would make more on the stock exchange than Manchester United.
The Red Devils floated shares in New York this summer with mixed results, as the Glazer family embarked on a new venture to help deal with the club`s sizeable debt.
If we ran into the stock exchange, we would worth more than Manchester United, I can assure that," he claimed.
Perez then explained to an assembly of Madrid`s elector partners this weekend why he believed the voting system within the club is broken and in need of a drastic overhaul.
“In 2009 I came back because of a situation that I do not like to remember,” he said. “Here, someone says to vote by show of hands is not democratic. Sorry, but what is more democratic?
“What is not democratic is to sneak electors who are not [worthy]. We must protect the club. We are many.
“Some people are willing to cheat. With a club like Madrid - which boasts an image of fair play - what kind of image do we offer when some members do not participate?
“Voting is direct, free and secret. At what cost? We`ll arbitrate change so Real Madrid covers [the cost]; we`ll put legal representatives in all provinces; and we`ll finish with the ghost of postal voting.”
Perez is currently in his second term as the club`s supremo, after replacing Ramon Calderon in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday