Real`s Xabi Alonso breaks bone in right foot
Madrid: Real Madrid midfielder Xabi Alonso has broken the fifth metatarsal bone in his right foot during training, the nine-times European champions said on their official website on Wednesday.
Local media reported that the Spain international, who was close to a return to action after surgery on a nagging groin injury in June, faces up to three months on the sidelines.
The 31-year-old has been the lynchpin in Real`s midfield since joining from Liverpool in 2009, and his presence was missed in their opening game of the new La Liga campaign last Sunday when they scraped a 2-1 home win over Real Betis.
Alonso had been expected to make his return to action in Thursday`s Santiago Bernabeu Trophy, an annual early season friendly, against Qatar`s Al Sadd.
Real coach Carlo Ancelotti has plenty of cover in the midfield holding role, however, with Luka Modric and Sami Khedira plus new signings Casemiro and Asier Illarramendi.
Xabi Alonso is also set to miss Spain`s next World Cup qualifier away to Finland in September, with the world and European champions leading Group I in their bid to reach next year`s finals in Brazil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?