Real's Alonso agrees contract extension
Madrid: Spain midfielder Xabi Alonso has agreed a two-year contract extension with Real Madrid which will keep the 32-year-old at the club until 2016, he announced on his Twitter account on Wednesday.
In his fifth season at Real after joining from Liverpool in 2009, Alonso posted a photo of the inside of the club`s Bernabeu stadium with the caption: "This will continue to be my home for two more years. A pleasure to let you know. Very, very happy."
Alonso`s current deal expires at the end of the season and the lack of an announcement of a new contract until now had prompted speculation he might accept a lucrative offer from an English Premier League club.
He has agreed a two-year extension with an option for another year and will be paid a net salary of 6 million euros a season, Spanish media reported.
Alonso`s poise and passing ability have been crucial to the Madrid club`s success in recent years and Carlo Ancelotti`s side have looked vulnerable when he has missed games through injury.
Hugely popular with the Real fans, they made it clear they wanted him to stay by chanting his name at recent home matches.
Alonso will miss Thursday`s King`s Cup last 16, first leg at home to Osasuna as he is yet to recover fully from damage to an eardrum he sustained last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'