Referee slammed after nine-man Chelsea lose
London: Manager Andre Villas-Boas criticised referee Chris Foy after his Chelsea team had two players sent off in a shock 1-0 defeat at west London neighbours Queens Park Rangers.
The visitors had right back Jose Bosingwa and striker Didier Drogba dismissed in the first half after going behind to a 10th-minute penalty by Heidar Helguson awarded after the Rangers striker was bundled over by David Luiz.
The defeat was Chelsea`s second in the Premier League this season and left them in third spot, six points behind leaders Manchester City who thrashed Manchester United 6-1 at Old Trafford earlier in the day.
"I think the refereeing today was not good and it is not the first time that has happened to us," Villas-Boas told reporters. "I am very, very disappointed with his performance.”
"He was too emotional. I hope this is not a pattern forming -- we have suffered in three games (this season) with refereeing.”
"It is too much in a short time ... and we cannot take it like this," added the Portuguese before praising his nine-man team for the way they dominated possession in the second half.
Chelsea, though, were masters of their own downfall in a hotly-contested derby.
Poor concentration and a lack of discipline led to Luiz barging into Helguson to give away the penalty.
Luiz was booked and he was emulated by six more Chelsea players and two from Rangers as the home team battled to hang on to all three points after the red cards for Bosingwa, after 33 minutes, and Drogba, eight minutes later.
Portuguese Bosingwa went, perhaps harshly, for pulling down Shaun Wright-Phillips as the pair tussled in pursuit of the ball while Drogba was dismissed for a two-footed tackle on Adel Taarabt.
Chelsea created several chances -- Nicolas Anelka wasting the best of them when he headed straight at keeper Paddy Kenny from six metres in the second period -- before the home crowd erupted to celebrate their first home win of the season.
Promoted Rangers climbed to 10th in the table with 12 points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report