Referees give Messi too much protection: Asprilla
Barcelona: Faustino Asprilla believes referees give Barcelona forward Lionel Messi too much protection on the pitch.
The former Colombia international is of the opinion that life was much harder for attackers during his playing days due to the quality of defenders, as well as match officials` tendency to let play continue wherever possible.
"When I still played, forwards did not get as much protection from referees. If someone fouls Messi now, people all over the world start crying and complaining," Asprilla told La Gazzetta dello Sport.
"I don`t remember anyone complaining when defenders had a go at me, Gabriel Batistuta or Marco van Basten.
"Life`s much easier for attackers these days. There are no defenders like Franco Baresi and Pietro Vierchowod around. I still have nightmares about them."
Asprilla then went on to voice his opinion that wages are too high in modern football as he feels only a few players really merit excessive salaries.
"Of course, I earned good money, but nowhere near as much as players get now," the 43-year-old explained. "Nowadays even a flop earns per month what someone like Van Basten got in a year.
"And I don`t exactly see many players of Van Basten`s level around ..."
Asprilla wore the jerseys of clubs such as Parma, Newcastle United, Palmeiras and Fluminense during his active career.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre