Rejected "astronomical" wage offer from United, says Muller
Zee Media Bureau/Dattaraj Thaly
New Delhi: Germany forward Thomas Muller has said he rejected a “big money” move to Manchester United this summer.
The 24-year-old has has been a fan of the Bavarians since his childhood. Hence despite an offer for a significant improvement in current wages from United, Muller decided to turn them down
Local German newspaper Bild, quoted the Bayern Munich star on United`s bid saying: “Yes, I knew I could earn more by moving. The figures that foreign clubs were talking about for me were astronomical. I can only say: a change was never really an issue for me anyway. FC Bayern is my club."
Interestingly, the new Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal deserves credit for reposing faith in Muller during his tenure as manager of Bayern Munich in 2009. The Dutchman ensured then 19-year-old Muller became a key member of his squad in Munich.
Since making the transition from Bayen Munich II to the senior team in 2009, the 2010 FIFA Golden Boot winner has scored 58 goals for the Bavarians in 165 appearances.
Apart from his exploits on the biggest stage in world football, the Germany international has risen to prominence for his unorthodox style of play and knack of scoring goals coupled with a great work ethic.
Having already scored 10 goals at the World Cup and with age on his side, Muller is the favourite to go past Miroslav Klose`s World Cup goals tally of 16.
He is the second player this week to have revealed his decision to snub the Old Trafford club after Borussia Dortmund too said he rejected a big money move to Manchester.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged