Ribery and Benzema to face trial over ‘underage prostitution’ allegations
London: French football stars Franck Ribery and Karim Benzema are set to be tried over allegations that they solicited an underage prostitute.
The pair, who are due to play for France against Uruguay this week, and were put under investigation two years ago, have denied the accusations, while the girl involved, Zahia Dehar, said that neither of the player knew she was 16 at the time.
According to the BBC, under French law, paid sex with someone under the age of 18 can prompt a punishment of three years in jail and a fine of 45,000 euros, but the accused has to be aware of the minor``s age.
The Zahia affair, as it became known, emerged two years ago as police investigated claims that a Paris nightclub had given access to underage prostitutes, but the allegations on the players date back to 2008 and 2009, the report said.
While Benzema’s lawyer said his client was innocent "and he will give his explanation before the tribunal", France’s coach Didier Deschamps said the matter was in judicial hands and did not affect their role on the football pitch or in the national team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'