Ribery: Ballon d`Or win would be for my dad
Paris: Franck Ribery hopes that he can secure the Ballon d`Or after his exploits with Bayern Munich in 2013, saying that it would be great for him and his family.
The Frenchman featured as the Bavarians overcame Raja Casablanca on Saturday to lift the Club World Cup, their fifth trophy in 2013 to add to their Champions League, Bundesliga, DFB-Pokal and Uefa Super Cup wins.
Ribery stressed that his stellar year should put him firmly in contention for the Ballon d`Or alongside Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo and that he would dedicate the win in part to his construction worker father, Francois.
"It was an extraordinary year, for the club, the people and for me," he told a French football programme. "We broke everything record-wise. We took a lot of pleasure on and off the pitch.
"I have put in so much effort on the pitch. I think I deserved the Uefa European Best Player award. I would be very happy to win the Ballon d`Or. It would be great for me, my wife, my kids and my father."
The future France international was two years old when he was propelled through a car windscreen as his father Francois Ribery slammed on the brakes to avoid a head-on collision, though it left his son scarred for life.
The winger also commented on team-mate Arjen Robben, playing down any disappointment at the fact that the Dutchman publicly expressed his backing for Ronaldo in the race to be named Ballon d`Or winner.
"He corrected himself quickly," the 30-year-old added. "Everyone can give their thoughts, no problem.
"It is already something extraordinary to be nominated alongside Ronaldo and Messi. I have every chance, I was there in the big games. It is the best year of my career."
The winner of the Ballon d`Or will be announced in a ceremony in Zurich on January 13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details