Ribery, Messi, Ronaldo shortlisted for UEFA best player award
Berne: Bayern Munich winger Franck Ribery joined Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi when the final three contenders for the 2012/13 UEFA Best Player in Europe award were named on Tuesday.
The Frenchman, who played a major role in Bayern`s Champions League-winning season, is the first player from a club other than Barcelona and Real Madrid to make the final three since the award was established by European soccer`s ruling body in 2011.
Argentina`s Lionel Messi won the inaugural award followed by Spaniard Andres Iniesta, his Barcelona team mate, last year.
Messi and Real Madrid and Portugal forward Ronaldo have made the last three in each of the two previous years.
Three of Ribery`s team mates at treble-winning Bayern - Thomas Mueller, Arjen Robben and Bastian Schweinsteiger - had made the shortlist of 10 players announced last month.
The winner will be decided by a jury of journalists from each of UEFA`s member associations in a live poll on August 29 at the Champions League group stage draw in Monaco.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'