Ribery now facing German investigation in under-age sex probe
Munich: German prosecutors are considering opening an investigation into allegations that French footballer Franck Ribery had sex with an under-age prostitute in Munich.
Ribery has never denied having paid for sex with Zahia Dehar, now 18, but his lawyer has claimed that the player had no idea that she was under-age.
Barbara Stockinger, a spokeswoman for the public prosecutors’ office in Munich, said: “We are looking into whether to begin a formal investigation”.
Stockinger also said that the German prosecutors would await the outcome of the French investigation, and highlighted that he could not be prosecuted for the same crime twice, The Telegraph reports.
Ribery had Dehar flown over from Paris on his 26th birthday in April 2009. He has admitted to having sex with her in a Munich hotel and paying for her flight tickets.
The 27-year-old was questioned by Paris magistrates on Tuesday, and was placed under formal judicial investigation.
His French international teammate Karim Benzema was also detained for questioning and placed under formal judicial investigation over relations with the same teenage call girl.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- DNA: Why no voice is being raised in favour of Kashmiri Pandits?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city