Ribery should win Ballon d`Or, not Messi: Thiago
Munich: Thiago Alcantara has claimed that Franck Ribery should win the Ballon d`Or over Lionel Messi after Bayern Munich`s trophy haul in 2013.
Ribery, who won Uefa`s Best Player in Europe award having helped his team to an unprecedented German treble, is in the final three-man shortlist alongside Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo.
"He (Messi) is the best in the world, but I understand the sport is a team game and Ribery has won more titles this year. I think that it is why he should win the Ballon d`Or," Thiago told reporters.
"Messi will always be looked at with a magnifying glass and negative news is always looked for."
Thiago was on the scoresheet as Bayern Munich added to their trophy collection on Saturday, winning the Club World Cup final 2-0 against Raja Casablanca.
However, the 22-year-old has dismissed speculation surrounding his future and a potential move back to La Liga, although he admits he misses the good times at Barcelona.
"I have spent six months in Munich and I do not regret my decision. I am happy," he continued.
“In my life, I will never regret what I’ve done, but I do miss Barca for the good times I experienced, though I have already said that I don’t regret moving. It’s always this way for players. Barca is a marvellous club and we only form a part of it. No club will ever miss any individual player.”
The Spaniard also defended his former club and said Barca were "playing great".
He added: "With more direct football I see nothing wrong. If they are first in the league, (and) first in their Champions League group, they are fine."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam