Rio Ferdinand earns England recall
London: Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand has been included in England`s squad to face San Marino and Montenegro.
The 34-year-old has been called up by Roy Hodgson for the first time after being left out of the squad for Euro 2012, despite the Three Lions manager previously suggesting that the former skipper would not be considered for international duty.
Phil Jagielka is the man to make way for Ferdinand, who will been joined in the squad by his United team-mate Michael Carrick, as he comes in for injured Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere.
Michael Dawson`s fine form for Tottenham has also been rewarded with his first call-up in two years, replacing Joleon Lescott, who has been starved of first-team football at Manchester City this season.
There are also recalls for fellow Spurs players Jermain Defoe and Scott Parker, while Ben Foster makes his anticipated return to the England fold after recently coming out of international retirement, and Everton midfielder Leon Osman earns another call-up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list