Riquelme leads Boca to victory over Nacional
Rio de Janeiro: Former Argentine midfielder Juan Roman Riquelme converted a first-half penalty as 10-man Boca Juniors moved into second place in their Copa Libertadores group with 1-0 away victory over Nacional.
The 44th-minute goal at Montevideo`s Centenario Stadium was Riquelme`s first since his return to the Argentine club following a seven-month exile from football.
The visitors were reduced to 10 men midway through the first half when Claudia Perez was shown a second yellow card, for bringing down Juan Albin in the area.
Veteran striker Ivan Alonso squandered a chance to give his side the lead by firing his spot-kick over the crossbar.
Riquelme made the home side pay when he coolly slotted into the top left corner after Andres Scotti`s rash challenge on Juan Manuel Martinez.
Former Villarreal star Riquelme has now scored 24 Copa Libetadores goals, surpassing Boca legend Martin Palermo`s mark of 23.
The result lifts Boca into second place in Group 1, one point behind Nacional.
In other matches Thursday, Arsenal de Sarandi beat Sao Paulo 2-1 and San Jose defeated Millonarios 2-0.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- American Senator wants US to stop issuing visas to Indians
- Kareena Kapoor Khan looks unapologetically sexy on the cover of Vogue India – See pic
- Will women be allowed to enter Haji Ali shrine? Bombay HC verdict today
- Check out the posters of Sunny Leone’s ‘Beiimaan Love’
- Central team to visit Kashmir to look into infiltration today