Riquelme leads Boca to victory over Nacional
Rio de Janeiro: Former Argentine midfielder Juan Roman Riquelme converted a first-half penalty as 10-man Boca Juniors moved into second place in their Copa Libertadores group with 1-0 away victory over Nacional.
The 44th-minute goal at Montevideo`s Centenario Stadium was Riquelme`s first since his return to the Argentine club following a seven-month exile from football.
The visitors were reduced to 10 men midway through the first half when Claudia Perez was shown a second yellow card, for bringing down Juan Albin in the area.
Veteran striker Ivan Alonso squandered a chance to give his side the lead by firing his spot-kick over the crossbar.
Riquelme made the home side pay when he coolly slotted into the top left corner after Andres Scotti`s rash challenge on Juan Manuel Martinez.
Former Villarreal star Riquelme has now scored 24 Copa Libetadores goals, surpassing Boca legend Martin Palermo`s mark of 23.
The result lifts Boca into second place in Group 1, one point behind Nacional.
In other matches Thursday, Arsenal de Sarandi beat Sao Paulo 2-1 and San Jose defeated Millonarios 2-0.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port