River go joint top, Independiente nearing relegation
Buenos Aires: River Plate defeated Independiente 2-1 at home in the 17th matchday of Argentina`s first-division football championship.
Juan Manuel Iturbe opened the scoring for the hosts in the 21th minute Sunday before Manuel Lanzini doubled their lead on 62 minutes.
Independiente secured a late goal through Daniel Montenegro in the 89th minute.
River Plate have 32 points with two matches left in the championship, equal with Newell`s Old Boys, who will face relegated Union at home in Rosario Monday.
Independiente are now on the verge of relegation with 21 points. If Argentinos Juniors defeat San Lorenzo Monday, Independiente will be relegated to division B.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured