River go joint top, Independiente nearing relegation
Buenos Aires: River Plate defeated Independiente 2-1 at home in the 17th matchday of Argentina`s first-division football championship.
Juan Manuel Iturbe opened the scoring for the hosts in the 21th minute Sunday before Manuel Lanzini doubled their lead on 62 minutes.
Independiente secured a late goal through Daniel Montenegro in the 89th minute.
River Plate have 32 points with two matches left in the championship, equal with Newell`s Old Boys, who will face relegated Union at home in Rosario Monday.
Independiente are now on the verge of relegation with 21 points. If Argentinos Juniors defeat San Lorenzo Monday, Independiente will be relegated to division B.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand