Robben breaks jinx as Bayern lift Champions League
London: Arjen Robben`s last-minute goal removed the jinx that haunted his side in the past three years as Bayern Munich became the European club winner for the fifth time after a 2-1 victory over Dortmund in first all-German Champions League football final.
With one minute before the stoppage time here Saturday night, Robben made a deft relay teamwork with Frank Ribery in the area before running through to beat the in-form keeper Roman Weidenfeller with an angled shot.
Robben, the man of the match, also assisted in Mario Mandzukic`s 60th minute opener with a left flank low pass. Ilkay Gundogan levelled the score with a penalty eight minutes later.
Having been two-time runners-up in the European club`s biggest stage since 2010, the Bundesliga giant finally lifted the trophy in their third final in four years, equalizing Liverpool`s five-time champion triumph. Only Real Madrid (nine times) and AC Milan (seven) are more successful than the duo.
Robben was reduced to tears after the final whistle. The Dutch winger suffered the bitter final defeats against Inter Milan in 2010 and Chelsea in last season when he missed a penalty which could have boosted his side to victory.
But tonight, he proved he is a strong-minded man with a redemption despite some fans criticised him individual and physically fragile .
Though Dortmund failed to clinch a second champions league crown after 1997`s glory, it was a victory for the club`s country.
Twelve German international players started in the two side`s starting line-up, which could nearly formed a formidable German international team. No one will doubt that they can challenge Spain`s throne in next year`s World Cup.
Following his 1998 success with Real Madrid, Bayern coach Jupp Heynckes thus became the 16th coach to lift the trophy twice, and only the fourth to do so with different clubs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi