Robben skips final training with Dutch team before Asia trip
Amsterdam: Arjen Robben was the only absentee on the final training of the Dutch national team before flying to Jakarta Tuesday.
Robben had reasons to take it easy, having won the German Cup with Bayern Munich last Saturday and after having already captured the German title and the Champions League.
The 29-year-old forward arrived Monday in the Netherlands after a day of festivities in Germany. He went for some cycling inside the training accommodation in Katwijk, after which he watched the rest of the group train.
"Because I played n Saturday I could skip the training," said Robben to Xinhua. "I have become a little tired now, but I did not think about withdrawing for the trip. I am a professional."
Besides Robben, Jonathan De Guzman, Dirk Kuyt and Robin van Persie joined the squad Monday. The four players were allowed to rest a few more days, while the other sixteen players already started the training camp Wednesday in Hoenderloo.
"I had a little break last week," Van Persie said. "I have been away with family. I had my little holiday already. I am fine, I am fresh and I am looking forward to this trip."
Dutch coach Louis van Gaal had a limited choice for his squad because twelve regular internationals were sent to Israel to play for the Netherlands at the European Under 21 Championships, while Rafael van der Vaart withdrew from the squad due to an Achilles tendon injury Wednesday.
The Netherlands will play Indonesia June 7 and China June 11 in Beijing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon