Robben skips final training with Dutch team before Asia trip
Amsterdam: Arjen Robben was the only absentee on the final training of the Dutch national team before flying to Jakarta Tuesday.
Robben had reasons to take it easy, having won the German Cup with Bayern Munich last Saturday and after having already captured the German title and the Champions League.
The 29-year-old forward arrived Monday in the Netherlands after a day of festivities in Germany. He went for some cycling inside the training accommodation in Katwijk, after which he watched the rest of the group train.
"Because I played n Saturday I could skip the training," said Robben to Xinhua. "I have become a little tired now, but I did not think about withdrawing for the trip. I am a professional."
Besides Robben, Jonathan De Guzman, Dirk Kuyt and Robin van Persie joined the squad Monday. The four players were allowed to rest a few more days, while the other sixteen players already started the training camp Wednesday in Hoenderloo.
"I had a little break last week," Van Persie said. "I have been away with family. I had my little holiday already. I am fine, I am fresh and I am looking forward to this trip."
Dutch coach Louis van Gaal had a limited choice for his squad because twelve regular internationals were sent to Israel to play for the Netherlands at the European Under 21 Championships, while Rafael van der Vaart withdrew from the squad due to an Achilles tendon injury Wednesday.
The Netherlands will play Indonesia June 7 and China June 11 in Beijing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown