Roberto Carlos announces retirement
Anzhi Makhachkala left-back Roberto Carlos has announced his immediate retirement from professional football.
The 39-year-old defender has taken the decision to hang up his boots after previously announcing that he would call time on his career at the end of the season.
He has been working actively to promote Anzhi in recent months and is expected to become an assistant coach at the big-spending Russian side once he gets his license.
"I have had talks to play a farewell match between Real Madrid and Anzhi," he is quoted as saying by EFE.
Roberto Carlos moved to Inter in 1995 after two years at Palmeiras, but he spent only one season with the Nerazzurri before signing for Madrid.
At the Santiago Bernabeu, the Brazilian achieved iconic status as he helped Los Blancos to win four La Liga crowns, three Champions League trophies and three Spanish Supercopas, among other pieces of silverware.
After 11 years at the Spanish capital club, spent two years at Fenerbahce before signing for Corinthians - the last club he represented before signing for Anzhi in 2011.
He won 125 international for Brazil and was part of the Selecao side who won the World Cup in 2002 and the Copa America in 1997 and 1999.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- CHSE Odisha +2 Results 2015 (chseodisha.nic.in): Odisha Board Class 12th Result 2015 declared on orissaresults.nic.in